Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 02:41:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I got hit.  (Read 3925 times)
goldenchild
« on: May 13, 2008, 05:26:34 PM »

So I'm leaving work and set out to repair my flat rear tire. I pull out the giant screw that's made a home for itself (decided to do it after work so that I could enjoy my lunch  Wink) and I proceed to plug the tire back up -

A few minutes later I'm rolling and I make a left onto the Bowery on my way to the Manhattan Bridge. I hit a red light at Delancy, look in my rear view and what do I see? Yup, popo. It wasn't a regular popo mind you, it was a motorcycle popo, on one of the big old Harleys, and he's waving at me to pull over.

I roll my eyes figuring I'm about to get a ticket for having a dark smoke visor (which was down) right around 7pm as the light was fading. As it turns out, he was just checking if I was legit (3rd time this season) and he was surprised that I had all my paperwork in order and after a whole lot of nothing he wished me a good evening.

I gear back up, wait out another red light and go on my merry way. I'm still in 1st gear going about 35mph as I near the intersection of Bowery and Hester Street. Those familiar with the city will know that this intersection is very busy, very crowded, and always congested 24hrs a day. Anyhow, I have the green light and proceed through the intersection when all of a sudden... a bike messenger (of the pedaling type), comes screaming into the intersection - from the wrong direction - sees me and taget fixates on me... meanwhile, the clutch is already pulled in, I already rolled off the throttle and am now on the brakes HARD but it was too late and he was too close... he plows into me from my front left side... goes flying over his own handlebars and my bike and into a bunch of pedestrians waiting to cross the street (they were already standing in the street).

I pull over to see if he was ok and as soon as I'm off the bike guess what... yup, more popo. They saw the whole thing and checked on me first. I was fine but the bike messenger and 2 pedestrians got scraped up. After checking my paperwork - again - they whipped out their ticket book and I'm thinking to myself - " what could they possibly give me a ticket for? I had the right of way AND the green light!" Turns out, they give the messenger 4 tickets! 1 for running a red light, 1 for going the wrong way down a one way street, 1 for not having a brake on his bike (t'was fixed gear), and finally, one for not having blinking safety lights or reflectors, and a horn or bell.  Roll Eyes

My scoot was fine other than a scratched bar end mirror. I get home and check my tires pressure. After I repaired the tire I pumped it up to 40psi, and 6.5 miles and about 20 minutes of drama later the pressure's down to 32 psi. looks like I'll have to get a new rear tire before this weekend Angry instead of milking it for a few hundred more miles like I did with my last tire. Truth be told, I was goning to have to replace it soon anyway thanks to Jake  Angry. All in all this will be my 3rd rear tire for the season, and I'll surely be needing to replace both tires well before the ride to the Indy GP in September.
 Are there any sugar mommies out there that want to take a cute little filipino boy? I'm well mannered, clean, like movies and romantic walks on the beach, have impeccable taste in art, music, and literature, and I have lots of tattoos too... just don't expect to have me around on Sundays....
GLantern

08 Red 1098, 07 DRZ400S

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 05:36:48 PM »

Damn man talk about crazy luck glad u didnt get any tix or worse
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:02:21 PM by GLantern695 » Logged

"Just ride and never ever look back"

www.suspectsunlimited.com
tommys67
Captain Slow

'08 Fireblade

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 06:38:17 PM »

That's a shit intersection.  Glad you weren't hurt waytogo

I live my life as a warning to others.
Founder - www.suspectsunlimited.com
Got Duc

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:42:32 PM »

That is wild.

My wife tells me of how those bike messengers are crazy.

She saw one hit a ped a few years ago and the ped died!

Glad to hear you are OK and that you had a pleasant run in with the  Police

Why do roaches always die on their back?

That because the survivors flip them over to steal their sneakers and wallets.
Cru Jones
Dog's Bollocks

RC51

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »

God damn E! I'm afraid to see what you'll post next as they get worse & worse as the day goes on. Thankfully it's a new day & hopefully a fresh start for you.

Usually Suspect
EvilSteve
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 09:41:53 PM »

Glad you're ok dude.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 05:15:35 AM »

Glad you are okay.  Seems like the law is back in full force like last year. 
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 05:15:45 AM »

Glad you are OK, I hope all the others are including the dumb-ass bicycle messenger.  Great that the police issued the tickets, since the tickets establish fault.
Kroe

get him a.... Cranberry juice

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 05:21:45 AM »

That sucks GC... it makes you wonder what standards messengers have to meet in order to keep their jobs. Why else would they ride the way they do??? IMO their worse than yellow cabs  Angry. Anyways, good to hear you (& the bike) didn't get hurt.

07' CBR600RR... "The Ice-Pick"
Beattie_Yoo

OBAMA-BIDEN

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 06:29:11 AM »

dam son! thats sucks but glad you made it out unhurt and without legal issues...riding in NYC blows, too many people, cars, po-9ers etc. when you think your good to go BAM, some stupid shit happens.

btw, chronic has some really good deals on tires....like under 400 for a pair of 2cts (190/55 120/70) installed, but im sure you already knowim debating whether to try the conti hypersport or the 2cts...
Mduc

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 07:16:01 AM »

Glad to hear you ok and the police were useful for once. I am in NJ and never been on the bike to NYC just paranoid as hell with all the retards running around.

07 S2R1K
patricks2r

USUAL SUSPECT

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 09:11:40 AM »

glad you're ok... 

"Pat - You'd better not be free-balling in my leathers! You gots to wear undies, son!"  - CRU JONES
univox

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 10:56:15 AM »

This thread is slightly disappointing  cheeky

Glad you're ok though waytogo
Pakhan

This is for Pris!

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 11:02:34 AM »

hit by one of your own, you should've given that messenger a card for your shop.  You can sell him those lights, brakes, and do the repairs  Tongue glad your ok.

Don't blame me for your tire woes, besides it's your fault my sprocket broke.  Kiss

PS: 120 & 190 PPs combo for $278.95 free shipping
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=113

"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines."   m620 749s r6

www.suspectsunlimited.com
rcpete

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 07:12:16 PM »

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad your Ok.  We have to be extra careful out there so many bikes and so many inattentive drivers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: