Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:54:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 696 unveiling at both AMS's friday and Sat (w/ BBQ on Sat)  (Read 12687 times)
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2008, 09:03:02 AM »

Imagine you're 16 and Sophia Loren is your girlfriend and she is being fussy cause you haven't given her the attention she wants.  The '16 is making you pay for what she perceives is not luvin' her enough.  Imagine, keeping her waiting in a room with other hussies!!!  Even if some of them are Italian, but really.

What's up Brian? 

cdc
fastwin
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2008, 02:18:55 PM »

Some people have high maintenance wives or girlfriends (some have both! Tongue)... I have a fussy, high maintenance, "my motor is too hot rodded to be streetable" kind of a bike. I'm seriously going to try 105 octane race gas and see is she likes that. It still stalls at idle, even though Jeff has jacked the idle up to 1,800+ rpm! Heck I rev it up to 2,000+ rpm using the throttle at intersections so it won't unexpectedly die on me. And with 110 decibel race Termis you can imagine the loud bump-a-thump rap music I can drown out at stop lights from pimpmobiles! Grin It will not hold a steady rpm at cruising speed, say 45mph down the street, without the motor bucking, spitting and surging. The ONLY time she's happy is when your stretching the throttle cable tight and rowing through the gears. Sounds like fun? It's not at least on the street. You end up gassing it up then coasting, gassing it up then coasting down the street to maintain a steady "no ticket" speed and avoiding the buck/spit/surge. All the "Daytona" motor work was revealed to me after I bought the bike, then I broke my neck so I didn't really know how it ran until late last year. I swear I would love to pull the stock 13,000 mile motor out of the 996S and put it in the 916SPS. At least the clutch is good, the new 1098 stock dry clutch works great. One hassle down, one more to go! It's a work in progress. As Billy Crystal used to say on the old Saturday Night Live "It's better to look good than feel good baby!" And the 916 looks killer! Evil
cdc

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2008, 04:02:09 PM »

At some point in the conversation with Jeff, expect him to say, "Just ride it like you stole it" laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

I feel your pain (Bill Clinton, 199?).  My bike is very stock but even then, it will throw a fart on decel before you come to a full stop and any attempts at keeping her at 4K rpm or slightly lower and the bike will do its own imitation of a lap dance (not that I am very familiar with those things mind you.  It just seemed like it'd be a good visual). 

The SPS has twin injectors and from the beginning, those injectors don't seem to work with each other well in that rpm range.  But they give you the fuel you need to hold power all the way to 11,000 rpm unlike the single injector 996s.  Your big ass motor mods however maybe exacerbating the problem.

Call me if you want to hear a serious possible solution.

cdc
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 04:04:54 PM by cdc » Logged
James.M

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »

Maybe I'll trade them my awesome but extremely fussy 916SPS for two 696s!! laughingdp
no you wont! I want my bike!
fastwin
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2008, 04:34:51 PM »

You are right again Charles. The 916 injectors are the Ducati equivalent of a "door slammer" Pro Stock drag racer's high rise manifold and dual four barrel carbs the size of trash cans! They scream on the top end and eat 10 gallons of fuel in a quarter mile but do not idle or run 20mph in a school zone! My 916 motor makes more power than my full Termi/DP ecu/dyno tuned 999. It's a 800lb gorilla of a 916! It just doesn't work well on this planet. It would be a monster (no pun intended! Grin) of a track day motor. How much fun would it be to pass 999s on the straights all day long? [moto] I'm sure it can be made rideable... somehow. It's not like it's a daily commuter, she's a garage beauty queen that needs to be ridden on special occasions (like setting off car alarms!) on sunny days in the company of other Ducatis. As I said, she is a work in progress.

ps  James, I thought you wanted me to leave you the 996S in my will? Now you want both?? Jeez... cheeky

pss  Charles, it just dawned on me... are you going to suggest the cross country trip to the midwest to the secret bat cave where you got your scoot sorted? Wink
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:02:25 PM by fastwin » Logged
cdc

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2008, 05:10:13 PM »

... I'm sure it can be made rideable... somehow. It's not like it's a daily commuter, she's a garage beauty queen that needs to be ridden on special occasions (like setting off car alarms!) on sunny days in the company of other Ducatis. As I said, she is a work in progress.

I hope you keep her as my bike would really enjoy the company even if she can't keep up.

cdc
cdc

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2008, 05:11:35 PM »

pss  Charles, it just dawned on me... are you going to suggest the cross country trip to the midwest to the secret bat cave where you got your scoot sorted? Wink

Yes.  I have been thinking about bringing the Monster up there for a tune up and would love the company.

cdc
cdc

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2008, 06:44:31 PM »

Brian,

check it out. 

http://www.visi.com/~moperfserv/road_trip.htm

sounds like your bike.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: