Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 01:28:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multistrada Re-construct -- DONE  (Read 75196 times)
Triple J
« on: January 25, 2009, 02:22:08 PM »

So I put up a teaser pic of my Multistrada project in Randall's MTS thread and a couple people said I should start a new thread about it. I planned on waiting until I was finished...but they talked me into it...so here it is.  Grin I'll update it as progress occurs.

I’ve had my 2004 Multistrada 1000DS for about 2 years, and have put about 12,000 miles on it…mainly from commuting year round.  I live in Seattle, so this means I probably ride more in the rain then in the sun.  Undecided I really love the bike, but as time went on I really wanted another naked bike (I used to have a 2001 Monster 900)…but I didn’t want to pay for a new one!  Roll Eyes That, coupled with my wife getting a new car which means I don’t have to commute on the MTS anymore, convinced me to turn the Multi into a naked bike.  Evil

I figure I’ll get the comfortable MTS seating position, combined with the awesome look of a naked sportbike. What's not to love?!  waytogo

Here’s a before picture. I’d done a few mods…namely exhaust, levers, CRG mirrors, pressure plate (not shown), new wind screen, and probably a few more I can’t remember. IMO a very nice MTS...removing the mirrors and adding a dark screen really helps with the looks.

I first thought doing this a while back when I saw Nick’s (motogpfan) modded Multi on the DML. I didn’t really want the motard style, but I really liked the overall look.  bow down  bacon
http://www.duccutters.com/NickCzerok-NakedMultiStrata.tpl

Then I saw this bike…and knew I had to transform mine.  bow down I don’t like everything on this bike…but again I really like the overall theme/look.
http://www.duccutters.com/cianr-MultiRacer.tpl

So the first step was to tear everything down. Here’s the bike sans fairings. It gives a hint of how it will look when finished. I really think the bike looks tough without all the fairings.  Evil

All of the electronics on the MTS hang off the left side of the frame. So the first thing to do is relocate all of that. I am putting all of the electrics in the air box, which means I have to switch over to pod filters. Nick (motogpfan) gave me some good direction on this, as it is how he did his. Nick really is a great guy...very helpful.  bow down 

The battery will be located under the seat. Here’s a shot of a cardboard mock-up I made. I’m currently getting a nice Aluminum one fabricated. Nick put his battery in the airbox, which I tried. The wiring harness is very stiff though, and I was having a tough time getting it to work. So...under the seat it will go. I will also put my Powercard in there which will make tuning it a bit easier than if it was in the airbox.

Initially I was going to just leave all the extra tabs on the frame…using a couple of them to mount the oil cooler above the horizontal cylinder. I even made the oil cooler mounting brackets. They were to be powdercoated so they’d look better than this pic:

BUT, the more I looked at it the more I thought the tabs had to go. A discussion with Dave R of Ducati Seattle a few weeks ago confirmed this when he admitted he wished he would have ground the brackets off of his SBK turned Monster he did a while back. After removing the triples for powdercoating I figured it was only like 4 more bolts to take off the whole frame.  Roll Eyes

So, I began the process of removing the frame so I could grind the brackets…and get it powdercoated a cool color. In the engineering profession we call the process of a job slowly becoming more involved “scope creep"! I am definitely experiencing scope creep!  Grin

Minus the front end:

Removing the frame took a bit more effort than I originally thought.  Shocked Turns out I had to remove the swingarm mount bolt, as well as the throttle bodies. A guy from our local club is rebuilding his MTS after a crash, and gave me some pointers…and moral support!! My dad had welded me up this engine stand back when I had my Monster…came in handy again!  waytogo

Here’s where the bike sits today:

Frame…ready for powdercoat. All of the brackets have been ground off. I was going to have a couple tabs welded on for the oil cooler...but I looked at a Hypermotard yesterday at Ducati Seattle, and I'm now going to get a valve inspection plate from a Hyper or an M1000 and just mount the oil cooler to that. Nice and simple.  Grin

I think I passed the point of no return a while ago. There are a LOT of parts laying around my garage!!  Tongue

Finally...here’s a teaser shot of my exhaust. It will be a 2-1 system. The can is baffled and for an R6...made by Competition Werkes in Oregon. The angle here is wrong…but the can slides over the header perfectly…I just have to get a short piece welded on to reposition it a bit. Thanks again to Dave R for showing me a bike in his warehouse with this exhaust. I was sold.  bow down bacon

I dropped the tank off for bodywork and paint yesterday, and I expect to drop off the frame, rims, triples, and a couple other small parts for powdercoat in the next couple weeks.  Dave R also hooked me up with a guy from Boeing who makes custom moto parts on the side...he stopped by yesterday and will be making me custom brackets for the taillight and gauges. The battery box fabrication is also in progress.  Grin

It really is nice having a dealer like Dave R (Ducati Seattle) around. He's very helpful, and has a lot of contacts in the local moto scene for fabrication...even though his shop isn't making much $$ from this project since I'm doing as much of it as I can by myself.  waytogo waytogo

I’ll post up progress reports as I move forward.  [moto]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 02:10:24 PM by Triple J » Logged
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 02:29:50 PM »

waytogo

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
skxf430

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:34:55 PM »

WOW!!!!!  Looking forward to seeing more pics of your progress.   applause
DesmoDiva

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:38:41 PM »

Shocked

Looking good!!!

popcorn

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
Got Duc

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 03:04:55 PM »

waytogo

Why do roaches always die on their back?

That because the survivors flip them over to steal their sneakers and wallets.
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 03:18:12 PM »

<bookmark>  coffee

popcorn

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
duclvr

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 03:36:06 PM »

Wow.
swampduc

'99 996, '07 S2R1000,'08 1098s, '12 1199s

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 04:17:03 PM »

Man, kudos on the commitment. Like you said, well past the point of no return. Can't wait to see the result. And since  you're an engineer, I know you'll do this with an obsessive eye to detail- should be amazing!

Respeta mi autoridad!
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 04:28:09 PM »

waytogo waytogo

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
Scottish
Balls!

That's thinkin' with your dipstick Jimmy!

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 04:42:06 PM »

Good project, as awkward as these bikes look stock, some of the coolest customs I've seen(including the two you posted) started with the Multi as a base, and from everything I've heard it's a great platform.

You can thank a soldier today, just click the link...
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
Labbedds

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 06:06:20 PM »

Sweet Frankenstrada  Evil

Wawawiwa
Langanobob

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 06:39:45 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to post this, it's providing some sorely needed inspiration.  The exhaust on that Duccutter bike is impressive, can't imagine doing all those weld.  I like the way the stock Multi exhaust header runs, the way you're doing yours.  Know what you mean about scope creep - the simplest project always leads to a bunch more stuff.
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 06:57:14 PM »

this is going to be interesting....there is also the Loudbike guy that did his Hyperstrada that was very sweet if you need more inspiration and he has a VERY sweet ARC Fabrication full exhaust system sitting on his shelf at home from that bike which is available for sale if that is also an option at all?!?!?!?...

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Fresh Pants

Moof

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »

Whee!

Keep up the good work.
It's always fun to watch these builds.

Bwooooooahhh
Braaaaaaaappp
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »

Awesome!

waytogo

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: