Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 07:41:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 81   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RACE STUFF THREAD  (Read 212054 times)
Pinocchio
Unsung

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 06:22:48 PM »

Link to a free MotoGP video of the Desmosedici GP9 unveiling at Wroooom:
http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2008/Ducati+Marlboro+unveil+the+new+Desmosedici+GP9

Stay tuned until you get past the breakdancing and the embarrassed mumblings of our brave boys Casey and Nicky, and you'll see some pretty decent closeups of the bike.

John

1969 Scrambler (450 “Jupiter”), 2005 MTS 1000DS, 2007 Monster S4RS, 2010 MTS 1200S Touring, 2018 Monster 1200R, 2021 Monster 937+
Ronr

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 09:55:56 PM »

Oh that's race stuff for damn sure! waytogo Cool video, LOVE listening to those high reving F1 cars! Interesting aerodynamics, weird to see the pointed snout of the car so high in the air. Sad to say I remember when they didn't have any wings front or rear and when BRM tried to take advantage of the new 3 litre rules in the mid-60s by trying to make an H configured 16 cylinder engine (bascially two 1.5 litre flat 8 cylinder engines in one!)... talk about exhaust spaghetti!! I wrote a school paper about it... and I don't mean college. Anyone remember the Brabham 46 "Fan Car" in the late 70s? So many cool old race cars. I'd love to go to the Laguna Seca historic races sometime. OK I am really dating my self with all of this but speaking of fan cars anyone ever see Jim Hall's Chaparral 2J Can Am fan car?? The Can Am series was always one of my favorite series ever. The neat Shadow cars and the awesome McClarens. Cool old stuff!!

Oh yeah... back to bikes.

I love that stuff too.  We went to the 2004 Monterrey Historics, Pebble Beach, Italian Concorso, etc.  You definitely should pick a year and go when your favorite marque is featured.  We've been wanting to take a trip out to west Texas and see Jim Hall's Chaparral museum.  Another racing development genius.
dallas2r

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 10:20:54 PM »

O.K., my apologies to Brian for this minor thread jack...

Here is a VIDEO link of the brand new Ferrari F1 car with Filippe Massa at the helm doing a lap around Fiorano (Ferrari factory test track). 

Turn up the sound - it rocks.

Oh and the video is taken from Massa's helmet cam  Shocked    Always look where you want to go    Very cool stuff, especially if your Italian isn't rusty!  laughingdp   

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/14/pics-and-video-scuderia-ferrari-f60-gets-on-track/

THREAD JACK OFF   Grin

That was pretty cool. I sent it to my Dad who's a big Nascar fan and passed on the instructions to turn up the sound, to which he replied, "Too bad the Italian couldn't keep his mouth shut.".  applause laughingdp

2007 Monster S2R1000
2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring/Urban

A motorcycle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no motorcycle. -Unknown
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »

I'd love to make that trip too. I believe he still lives in Midland and that's where the Chaparral museum is. My friend (who's older brother lives here in Dallas and has the Britten and other cool s#@t...) lived in Midland and visited Hall and saw the cars. He said it was super cool. You're right, he was a freaking genius. Good old Abilene born, west Texas genius! applause

It would be a nappy drive, but I'd love to see the museum waytogo

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 12:21:34 PM »

On a semi race related note (OK, rider school taught by ex-racer related), I had forgotten about this and meant to post something months ago. I probably was too shocked when I read it to post anything. I cannot believe Freddie Spencer's riding school shut down, actually last October! It was one of the most highly regarded and one of the oldest around... I would guess Keith Code's might be the oldest. Can't picture my favorite Cajun World Champion stiffing his instructors, not refunding students money on cancelled classes and even worse having Honda repossess their bikes and walking away from their former hero and #1 son. Really sad. Tongue

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=34774

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=34773

That is so sad.  It would have been a great experience to have taken the class as Spencer was very highly regarded.

cdc
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 05:59:03 PM »

I read in the Trackday section that the AMA RedBull Rookies Cup is canceled as well...

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=17991.0
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 08:36:41 PM by bryant8 » Logged

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
Ronr

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 09:11:21 PM »

Yep, saw the stories on other websites. Folks tried to blame the death of the 14 year old racer last year but I am pretty damn sure it's money. Heck, think of all the money that Red Bull throws at stuff. It's incredible. They can't be selling that many energy drinks to fund what they sponsor? Can they? Ahh, I've never had one... does that count? Sorry to see the series fade, was a damn good idea and a positive promotional move for Red Bull. Hope it returns. waytogo

I've often wondered this too, how can a relatively new(?) drink company afford to be major sponsors of all the racing they're involved in, including Red Bull and Toro Rosso Formula 1 teams!!  There's got to be more to that story.  Maybe they are laundering money for the Mob.
Giannis
Bad Brains

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 09:42:27 PM »

I've often wondered this too, how can a relatively new(?) drink company afford to be major sponsors of all the racing they're involved in, including Red Bull and Toro Rosso Formula 1 teams!!  There's got to be more to that story.  Maybe they are laundering money for the Mob.

trust me they make a lot of money... maybe here in US isn't that popular but in Europe and the rest of the world is HUGE...
jager bomb is one of the most popular hard drinks

this is from Wikipedia

In 2006, more than 4 billion cans were sold in over 130 countries.
that would be 12billion dollars(?) or Euros with average $3 a can... Lips Sealed

they sell also Apparel in PUMA stores
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:49:10 PM by Giannis » Logged

Billy: We did it, man. We did it, we did it. We're rich, man. We're retirin' in Florida now, mister....
Captain America: You know Billy, we blew it....
www.speedjunkies.gr
RED
carries my

'04 ST4s, '73 Triumph Bonneville 750 cafe

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 09:51:57 PM »

trust me they make a lot of money... maybe here in US isn't that popular but in Europe and the rest of the world is HUGE...
jager bomb is one of the most popular hard drinks

this is from Wikipedia
 that would be 12billion dollars(?) or Euros with average $3 a can... Lips Sealed

Love the new avatar setup G!
Son-unit and I went to The Red Bull X-Fighters last summer and let me tell you, they had to have a million bucks just to build and then remove those mountain courses they jump over!
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 04:52:08 AM »

The Russian mob...
svoloch

too old to remember my titanium member...

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 05:28:46 AM »

Love the new avatar setup G!
Son-unit and I went to The Red Bull X-Fighters last summer and let me tell you, they had to have a million bucks just to build and then remove those mountain courses they jump over!

Yep, Xander and I went also...  Was a blast and not too hot...

Тише едешь, дальше будешь
2009 Streetfighter S
exes:
2006 Sh1t Hot Black Xerox 999     1973 BMW R75/5
2001 BMW K1200RS                     1994 BMW R1100S
1974 Guzzi T3                              1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW R90/S                         1973 Suzuki T500
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 06:29:26 AM »

the x-fighter thing looked cool; a friend of mine went and said it was a good time.  or maybe that was the other show...where they did the combo with freestyle motocross and bmx riders.

the redbull soapbox thing always looked cool, too.  bit less extreme, though, but definitely a good time.  too bad those won't be in dallas any time soon.

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 03:22:40 PM »

I posted this over on TSAT just now; thought it wouldn't hurt to post it here too:

Just saw this deal:

http://www.panozmerchandising.com/RoadAtlanta/ViewProduct.aspx?PRODUCTID=942008144212984

It's a 2008 embroidered AMA Superbike polo shirt from last years's race at Road Atlanta.  $25.00    And here's the ladies version (also 25 bills):

http://www.panozmerchandising.com/RoadAtlanta/ViewProduct.aspx?PRODUCTID=8112008154651765

I've ordered several things from this website over the years and their on the up and up 

Valentine's Day is on the way

Yeah, I know it's an AMA event but... when was the last time you saw a 100% cotton, embroidered polo shirt with ANY racing theme for 25 bucks?!?  laughingdp

chug

calscrazy

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 07:40:23 PM »

unfurtunately duhamel and hacking join a growing list of racers looking for work. right now big companies are afraid of the markets. not just here but everywhere and it isn't fair to those involved. however as a cheap plug did anyone see the new name for the usac midgets. they now have the mopar midgets and ford focus series.

home will always be between the red and rio!!!
2007 m695 errr recently passed away
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 04:01:27 AM »

Can someone please give me the run-down on AMA Superbike for this year?  Is it still the same four Japanese manufacturers or did half of 'em get pissed off and go somewhere else?   Roll Eyes   WSBK still sounds reasonably healthy (even though Bayliss is retired, dammit!  laughingdp  ).  MotoGP doesn't have Kawasaki as I understand it... or did they leave WSBK?

Crap, you need a score card to keep all this straight for '09  Undecided

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 81   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: