Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 04:17:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone used Technoworks VDST? Vehicle Diagnostic Scan Tool, tuning, trouble code  (Read 6971 times)
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« on: December 30, 2008, 11:10:41 AM »

Anyone used Technoreserch VDST? (Vehicle Diagnostic Scan Tool) 

I'm intrested to hear if it's easy to use to help diagnose electrical problem-o's, tuning and can you view trouble codes for Ducatis?.

The Vehicle Diagnostic Scan Tool is a motorcycle vehicle diagnostic tool; available from Cacycleworks and was listed on DT Desmo Times (not sure if there still carrying it).  Following is a summary, PC & PDA compatable. Link ...

http://www.technoresearch.com/Products/VDST-Motorbike/VDSTS-Motorbike.htm

•     Blink Codes, ISO 9141-6, KWP2000 and J1850 VPW Protocols supported.
 •     View Real-Time Engine Parameters data ( RPM, Throttle Position Sensor, Battery, Lambda, etc.).
 •     View & Clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ).
 •     Reset Service Light, and Malfunction Indicator Light.
 •     Idle Fuel Trim adjustment.
 •     Idle Speed Control adjustment.
 •     Reset TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).
 •     Reset IAC.
 •     Perform Active Test  ( Tachometer, Injectors, Coils, Purge Solenoid, etc. ).
 •     View System ID.
 •     Data Recording.
 •     Operates in 5 languages (English, Italian, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese).
 •     English or Metric units.
         •     Includes Gas Analyzer (2 Gas)  & Gas Analyzer (4Gas) software interface.
         •     Include Wideband O2 Controller software interface.
         •     and more....
Note:  Some feature listed above might not be available in some vehicle models.                 

SOFTWARE PACKAGE   

•     Case
•     CD-ROM ( Software and Manuals )
•     Serial Communication Cable ( f PC does not have a serial port a USB to serial adapter could be used )
•     Hardware Key for Parallel Port or USB port  ( Only for VDST-Pro ).

.... all the world is yours.
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 02:39:38 PM »

I use it.  I don't know if it would be much help diagnosing electrical problems other than giving you error codes.  It is kind of fun running the diagnostics programs but I mostly use it to adjust the idle trim on the DP ecu and set the TPS.  It resets the check engine light, lets you unlock the immobilizer if you have the code, lots of other stuff that I have not used.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
DarkStaR

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 02:43:45 PM »

I use it.  I don't know if it would be much help diagnosing electrical problems other than giving you error codes.  It is kind of fun running the diagnostics programs but I mostly use it to adjust the idle trim on the DP ecu and set the TPS.  It resets the check engine light, lets you unlock the immobilizer if you have the code, lots of other stuff that I have not used.

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but can you explain what the "unlock the immobilizer" feature does?

TIA
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:45:53 PM by DarkStaR » Logged

krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »

Nothing allows you to unlock the immobilizer. The weber marelli interface to the ecu seems awfully incomplete with respect to the immobilizer. I played with it a lot. IMHo, a lot of functionality that the books mention doesn't exist.

It's a pretty good tool. There are no trouble codes, they simply tell you what's wrong in the software. If a bike is misbehaving, it is nice in that you can run their tests and from that point, you know what tests as GOOD and can go looking elsewhere. Like when the pickup coil died on my 1996 916: wasn't directly tested, but many other things were.

Smiley
Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 06:06:43 PM »

I have used both pc and palm versions . I used the palm version when I was at the dealership and can tell you from experience that it is way better than the factory "mathesis" or "DDS"

At the shop the company forced us to buy the factory tools, I know one shop still using the mathesis because the DDS makes windows vista look like the most trouble free system out there.

by the way i use mine (PC version ) for my business and run it on my mac with bootcamp. works great.
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 06:34:13 PM »

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but can you explain what the "unlock the immobilizer" feature does?

TIA

When you get the bike, there is a card with a code printed on it.  The VDST has a screen that allows you to type in the code and it is supposed to unlock the immobilizer if the key/antenna doesn't work.  The manual has a procedure that involves ?twisting the throttle? and somehow entering this code to do the same thing.  Luckily I have not had to do either one of these things.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
brad black

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 07:55:24 PM »

When you get the bike, there is a card with a code printed on it.  The VDST has a screen that allows you to type in the code and it is supposed to unlock the immobilizer if the key/antenna doesn't work.  The manual has a procedure that involves ?twisting the throttle? and somehow entering this code to do the same thing.  Luckily I have not had to do either one of these things.

to clarify, the above is for when your bike has immobilised itself and won't un-immobilise itself when you want it to.  it works for as long as the key is on.  turn the key off and you have to do it again.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
DarkStaR

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 11:13:25 PM »

Understood. Thanks guys!!!

DuciD03

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 11:16:28 PM »

There are no trouble codes, they simply tell you what's wrong in the software. If a bike is misbehaving, it is nice in that you can run their tests and from that point, you know what tests as GOOD and can go looking elsewhere.

Hey Chris et al; thanks for the insights ... some further Q's....

its kind pricey and I'd like something that I could use on various ducatis; I note on the website its 200 for a single bike a 800 for the "pro" for all European; can I get a ducati specific version for less? for future diversity considerations ...

How does the trouble code, or how does the software ID trouble & describe it?

Cheers & Happy New Year  Vino! DD

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 05:57:50 PM by DuciD03 » Logged

krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 11:46:19 PM »

The vdsts tool reports status and tests via graphics. If you test the injector, they have a picture of an injector and then it says pass or fail. The $200 tool covers all bikes with the same ecu. Anymore, it would seem most Ducatis use the w-m 5.9 ecu. The more expensive version also does P7, P8, 1.6, 1.5 in addition to the 5.9.

Smiley Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
scott_araujo

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 12:40:58 AM »

You can find the VDSTS software and manuals on the web and download them.  Then you can run it on your own PC or PDA.  Nothing much happens since you're not connected but you can take a look at most of the screens and see what you'll be getting.
http://www.technoresearch.com/Downloads/downloads-VDSTS

I have it and I use it to tune my bike, need it for TPS reset and the idle mixture setting on my '03 800.  I really like it, it works well.  I have the USB to serial adapter since my pc has no real serial port.  It sometimes takes a few minutes and is a bit finicky to connect, it seemed to connect faster and more reliably with my old pc that had a serial port.  Regardless, it works just fine once connected.  I haven't needed to read or clear any trouble codes yet.  I don't imagine it's hard.

You can monitor lots of stuff, test fire injectors, and adjust a few things.  The newer the bike the fewer things you can adjust with it.  It's a lot of money for the few things I use it for but it lets me do my own services whenever I want so that saves a lot of money.  It probably paid for itself on the first service.  It's fairly easy and intuitive to use.  If you're having trouble with electronic sensors and the like I'm sure it would help. 

Not exactly the same thing but I bought the generic ODB2 code reader for cars because my wife's Volvo is always breaking down.  Plug in, read code, replace sensor it's complaining about or (more often) tighten the loose gas cap and clear the random emission code it triggered.  It has worked like a charm so far, paid for itself many times over already.  Don't buy a Volvo Sad

Scott
DuciD03

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »

hey scotty good to hear from ya again, been a while.... Wink

saw the downloads thanks; but you need the software key.... Grin?

Thanks for the feedback ... impress that you bought & use the software ... thanks for the second opinion.

PM-ed ya ...

Chris; how can I tell what ECU I have on a s2r 05 -06?  I see that Ducati used the 5.9 & the 5 AM ECU's on the s2r's.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 12:02:02 PM by DuciD03 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: