Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 12:34:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing front fairing?  (Read 2594 times)
ArabicaMan

« on: December 27, 2008, 02:35:11 PM »

Santa brought me a set of DP billet turn signals for my S4Rs.  To get to the back side of the front signals, it seems I need to remove the front fairing.  But to remove the front fairing, it looks like I need to be able to put a socket or wrench on the back-side bolt to keep the mounting nut from freewheeling.  So here's my question:  To get to the nut on the back of the front fairing mounts, do I need to remove the instrument cluster?  Not a lot of room to work with back there.  Thanks in advance; cheers.

2007 S4Rs, full DP/Termi exhaust, DP short rear guard, Bitubo steering damper, DP billet indicators (front & back), Rizoma "Reverse Retro" mirrors, Matrix Motosports carbon fiber fairing support, various shiny DP carbon bits, custom license plate mount
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 02:51:52 PM »

you dont need to, but i did it because i was trying to reroute some wires. if you do, be careful, those rubber mounts come of easily, and then your pretty much screwed cause there isnt any type of glue that can hold it back in place ever again.

If they are stuck you can try using a pair of plyers to hold the rubber mounts in place while you losen the nut with an allen key.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
DarkStaR

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »

I use small ignition wrenches to get to those with out removing the gauges.

You probably don't need to remove the fairing to get to the signal hardware if you remove the headlight.  Also, removing the headlight will make access to the wiring easier.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 03:03:49 PM by DarkStaR » Logged

Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 03:09:26 PM »

The fairing is held by two 6mm screws to the U bracket, and is clamped by the screws that hold the indicators in place no need to remove these completely as the fairing is slotted to allow it to be pulled forward and removed.

I know not of the 'rubbers' that the cheeseman is referring too.

Capo de tuti capi
DarkStaR

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 03:25:03 PM »

The fairing is held by two 6mm screws to the U bracket, and is clamped by the screws that hold the indicators in place no need to remove these completely as the fairing is slotted to allow it to be pulled forward and removed.

I know not of the 'rubbers' that the cheeseman is referring too.

I think the OP is having trouble getting the nuts off the back side of the 6mm screws.

I think the 'rubbers' are the ones the gauges mount to.

Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 03:52:33 PM »

I think the OP is having trouble getting the nuts off the back side of the 6mm screws.

I think the 'rubbers' are the ones the gauges mount to.

Those rubbers are elastomeric isolators with 6mm connections, easy to remove, hard to damage.

Capo de tuti capi
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 05:48:36 PM »

Those rubbers are elastomeric isolators with 6mm connections, easy to remove, hard to damage.

hard to damage, but easy to rip of. they are molded over the head of the screw that bolts onto the triple.

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 06:05:09 PM »

The studs that prodrude from the rubber are molded in, they have a flange on them that is about 1mm below the surface, the correct method to remove them is to clamp on the OD with a pair of grips, this allows a torque path to the stud. If you apply torque to the end, you place the bond in shear, which it is not designed to handle, and so it 'rips off'

Capo de tuti capi
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 06:08:05 PM »

yea thats pretty much what i said in the beginning.

either way, i snaped both of them off (both from going down on the bike). they dont take vibration very well. Atleast not the kinda you see when youre riding over pot holes larger than a baby crib.

Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 06:12:31 PM »

I'm with you now, I hadn't realised that you were referring to the two nuts that hold the instruments to the isolators.

Capo de tuti capi
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 09:18:43 PM »

FWIW, I can't get a wrench on the fairing nuts without lifting the gauges.  I'm about to remedy that by drilling out the mounts and inserting rivnuts.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
aaronb

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 08:44:41 AM »

FWIW, I can't get a wrench on the fairing nuts without lifting the gauges.  I'm about to remedy that by drilling out the mounts and inserting rivnuts.
i usually run without the fairing, but occasionally put it on for long rides.  i just got a few clip on blind nuts from the hardware store so when the fairing is off i pop the nuts off too. 

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
ArabicaMan

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »

UPDATE:  Okay, I got this all figured out (with much help from this group, to be sure).  Everyone pretty well convinced me that removing the instrument cluster (and the attendant risk to the rubber mounts) required more nerves than I could muster so...I went the headlight route.  I pulled the two bolts that secure the headlight and the entire unit dropped right down.  With that out of the way, I could get a 10mm wrench on the back of the upper fairing mount nuts and they came right out.  With those removed, the fairing popped off forward.  Then, I just removed the two bolts that hold on the turn signals (careful not to damage the rubber mounts for the bottom flanges on the fairing and wired up the new signals.  Ultimately, it was pretty straightforward (and the new signals look great!).  Thanks to everyone for their advice and assistance.  Cheers.

2007 S4Rs, full DP/Termi exhaust, DP short rear guard, Bitubo steering damper, DP billet indicators (front & back), Rizoma "Reverse Retro" mirrors, Matrix Motosports carbon fiber fairing support, various shiny DP carbon bits, custom license plate mount
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 04:51:31 PM »

I realize that you solved your problem, but FWIW, I've removed the gauges dozens of times without damaging any of the fasteners.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: