Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 07:50:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Move a motorcycle in a 22 foot rental truck  (Read 23959 times)
fasterblkduc

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 08:44:47 AM »

I just talked to the dealership and their giving me 2 crates that the new bikes come in! Yes!

Shocked My god man...aren't those big steel crates? Do you have a forklift? I think those are the shipping containers that they are shipped in from Italy. Also, aren't the bikes partially disassembled to fit in those? (someone on here must know)

You are going to way more trouble than you need to on this. Listen to the great advice that's been given here...it's not rocket science...Strap them down and go. And as mentioned, don't strap them down real hard. It doesn't take much!

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 05:38:17 PM »

I moved my Ducati in an open U haul trailer on a sunny day; simple as described above using the ratchet webbing straps (well worth getting) U should be able to find a set of 4 for 20 bucks at an autosupply store)  Used one strap around the front tire, 2 either side of the ft trellis frame and 2 on the back hand holds.  firstly tightended evrything then compressed the shocks and retightened; didn't move an inch. I'd watch to make sure you dont use the metal hooks on the bike frame; just double them over and connect hooks to hooks.

have a fun move / drive ... Cheers

.... all the world is yours.
MotoPsycho
General Nuisance and a

My Dream, my rules !

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 08:23:20 AM »

strap em to the walls and stack the couch cushions around them with mattresses in between and whatever other soft furniture you have, that's how I did it, but I only moved 8 miles across town.

Edgar: '99 M750 - 2009 Indy Ducati Rat Bike Award Winner
muscle_cars_only

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 05:41:16 PM »

Drill holes on the rental floor, buy some decent sized eye bolts ,washers,nuts and ratchet strap it down .Make sure to load the forks ,don't use the kickstand.

02 Speed Triple   Black   16k
04 CBR600 F4i  Red/Black    8k
06 m620  Red
Agent47
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 07:55:45 AM »

So I finally made the move from IL to CA and this is the set up I had. Mind you, these pallets pictured are from two KTM Superdukes just received at the dealership who donated them to me. The bikes were strapped to the pallets and one pallet (with the Honda) was strapped to the truck. No drilling to the truck floorboard was necessary as the truck was tightly packed. No bikes were damaged at all. Thanks for the advice guys!  waytogo

RobotDan

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 12:30:35 PM »

looks great, good work.  waytogo
Carman

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 05:45:01 AM »

+1 on the crates

Carman
'07 S4RS
MTBryan

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 07:04:18 AM »

I recently moved my Foggy from Denver to Nashville in a 26 foot Budget Rental truck. Originally, I was going to drill holes in the floor and use motorcycle tie downs on the bars/forks. But I really didn't want to have the forks compressed for 3 straight day.
The moving guy talked me into setting the bike up against one wall with just the bars touching the wall. I put a thick towel between the end of the bars and the wall.
Then, I tied various parts of the bars, wheels and frame to that wall to keep it from falling over. I made it TIGHT!
I wedged lots of loose items around the front tire to keep it  and the bars from turning (that would be a disaster).
Finally, I put a large mattress (queen sized) between the bike and everything else in the truck, on the opposite side of the bike from the wall. And, I curved the mattress over the top of the bike. So, if anything fell in the truck, it would be protected by the mattress from the side and on top.
This worked perfectly, and the bike didn't have so much as a scratch after those 1300 miles in the truck.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: