Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 12:37:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Install new grips on 696 (w/ pics)  (Read 12132 times)

« on: November 11, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »

My research stemmed from this thread here.. http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=14853.0

Here's a quick and dirty how-to. My digicam batteries were about to take a crap on me so I had to cut down the pictures but I'll explain the best I can.

Tools:
-screwdriver
-WD-40
-soapy water
-water/alcohol mix
-compressed air

I got these Driven Kraton Gel Grips free with the purchase of my Pazzo levers so I decided to install them this afternoon after inquiring about how to install them. As others have already stated, it is a pretty easy install. They are not aesthetically pleasing on the throttle side but they are pretty darn soft compared to the OEM grips.
Function > Form

The same steps apply for both sides except that the clutch side doesn't have a throttle tube.. but you knew that.  Tongue

Step 1.
The most challenging part was the throttle side because I didn't want to mess anything up. After looking at it and getting online advice here, it was pretty easy in the end.
Remove your bar ends if you have them.
The grip is slipped over the throttle tube (white tube).
You can start it off with your fingers. Lift the end off of the tube and that should give you enough room to push the screwdriver in.

With the screwdriver in place, spray the space between the grip and throttle tube with a lubricant or hairspray. I chose WD-40 because I didn't have any hairspray available. Give it a quick squirt and work the screwdriver around and squirt a bit more. You'll feel the grip loosening up.

Note: The OEM grip actually wraps itself over the end of the white throttle tube. It's hard to just pull the grip off. You have to physically "unwrap" the large flair of the grip off of the tube. You'll see what I mean with the picture. I tried to get a picture of the channel that actual covers the throttle tube flair.

Once that is completed you can pull the grip off. The clutch side is super easy. Once you get lube around the grip it slips right off with a yank and twist.

Please note that the grips are side specific. The throttle side grip has a larger inside diameter. The clutch side grip has a smaller inside diameter.

Step 2.
Clean the throttle tube/handlebar with alcohol and water to get rid of any lubrication residue. You can also use compressed air to blow lubricant and whatnot out of the nook and crannies.

Step 3.
Soak the new grips in soapy water.
Take some soapy water and also wet the throttle tube and handlebar (which end you are working on). This aids in slipping the grips on.

Work the new grip onto the tube or handlebar. If it feels dry going on, throw some more soapy water on it. With some finessing it should go on.
Position it how you want it and let it dry overnight or in the sun if possible. There you have it!!
I know some of you guys know this is easy but as stated on my other threads I'm definitely a visual person. If this helps out one person then I have done my job.

The throttle side.. The flair from the tube is exposed because the new grip doesn't have a provision to cover it up. I guess I'll replace it when I get a chance. I just wanted to try something new and free.

drink

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:43:21 PM by 1313 » Logged

09 M696
jandie

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 05:38:59 PM »

wow!!! you are doing all the mods I want to do this winter!! Again Thank you!!!   waytogo chug

09 Monster 696 (Pearl White): CF Termi, Rizoma Lux Grips, Rizoma Reverse Retro Mirrors, Pazzo Levers, CW Fender Eliminator, White Reflective Rim Tape, <more to come soon>
pdog109

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »

Hey sorry for necrobumping this thread but i have question/issue.
My grips also ended up not having the lip like in the pic so the throttle tube flair is exposed, is this a problem if getting caught in the rain water can possibily get in there would this be bad? My bike knowledge is limited, don't know if there is cables/wires down there that could get damaged from water?

Also when trying to find out how to install grips i didn't find this page on the "Tutorials Listed in Alpha Order" thread here, only found how to install the heated grips. This is a good guide i think it should be added to the thread since it helped me do it!  waytogo

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=14831.0

djomlas
Full fairings back on road

Ciao Marco

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 07:55:32 PM »

if you have an air compressor, all you gotta do is blow some air in between the grip and tube and it slides off in no joke 2 seconds Smiley

S2R
Rizoma rearsets, full Zard CF dual exhaust, Rizoma clipons, Sargent seat, 999 shock, golden brembo calipers/rotors upgrade,adjustable levers and billet grips, some CF (belt covers, heel guards, chain guard sprocket cover, fender, bellypan), integrated R6 tail light, bar end mirrors
other bikes in garage: 08 hayabusa, 06 hayabusa, 07 zx14, 07 r6, k6 gsxr1000, r1, 08 zx6r, triumph speed triple,2 vespas and a ruckus, its an obsession
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: