Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 06, 2024, 09:04:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Midpipe gasket install question (with bad ass graphics)  (Read 1475 times)
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« on: September 13, 2008, 04:38:17 PM »

So, tired of the hot gasses leaking all over my legs and the backfire on decel, I decided to order a couple of new gaskets from Ducati.  The horizontal gasket was totally shot and the vertical one looks somewhat decent, but still leaks.  The question I have would most easily be explained with a photograph, but since I just moved and have no idea where my digicam is and even if I did, would have no way to load the pics without hooking up my desktop, decided to crack a beer and take an excursion into the world of MS Paint.  Those of you who have ever installed one of these gaskets will be able to visualize the image a little better than those who have not (if those who have not can visualize it at all).  First of all, the gasket is really really snug.  Snug to the point where I feel like I may damage it if I continue moving it down the pipe.  Second, is the smaller pipe (the one that goes inside the big pipe, for all you folks that failed the square hole, square peg test in kindergarden) supposed to be inserted entirely within the inner ring of the gasket (figure 1) or is it supposed to sit in the "V" part of the gasket (figure 2).  I'll try and find someone with a digicam to get some more concise info up here, but for now a semi-buzzed paint illustration will have to do.

3rd question, did I just waste 12 bucks a gasket on a couple of useless pieces of steel mesh when I could have just as easily dumped a bunch of high temp liquid gasket in there and bolted her up?  I'm no n00b to engine related endeavors, this just happens to be one of those issues where I'd rather not waste the money I spent on parts and just do it right as opposed to continuing to drink and proceding to force said gasket into said pipe causing unwanted damage (and possibly more beer consumption).  I think the next purchase after the mirrors is a haynes manual.

I'm gonna go drink some more.

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 04:46:41 PM »

I have absolutely no idea, but my intuition says alternative 2. (the graphics are perfect)

- also you have my support on the "drink more" and Haynes  waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 07:39:35 PM »

I've dealt with this and it's definitely #2, you must pull the gasket apart enough so it will fit on the end if the header pipe, with the rim of the pipe resting in the v groove of the gasket as you have depicted. If it won't fit right out of the box flatten the v out a bit so that it will. Then, shove the udder pipe onto it, and when the end of the header pipe reaches the inner end of the flared part of the udder pipe, the gasket will compress a little, which comprises the seal. No goop required or specified. Doesn't seem like the best design but that's how it goes together. Ever thought about a Quat-D midpipe instead? Those have actual clamps at the junctions.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
brad black

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 08:31:26 PM »

i do it as #1, and put some goop on the mesh gasket to let it slide around nicely.  i usually prefit them and squash them around a bit to make them easier to fit later.  then put it on the inner pipe and slide the outer over it.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
DarkStaR

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »

It's been a couple of years now, but I recall doing #1.

booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 11:31:15 PM »

i do it as #1, and put some goop on the mesh gasket to let it slide around nicely.  i usually prefit them and squash them around a bit to make them easier to fit later.  then put it on the inner pipe and slide the outer over it.

Dang that's not how I did it, only reason is that's the only way I supposed it could have gone together, but looking at the manual now it states 'apply sealing paste to header and presilencer junction'. Shop manual makes no mention of the mesh gasket, just the header to cyl head seals. Also says to apply paste to the s-pipe to presilencer(udder) junction. I've had the hardest time making sense of the Duc manual. Huh? Didn't have any sealer on it from the factory from what I could tell. Whoops, bike ran well though actually. Please excuse my previous misinformation Embarrassed

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: