Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 10:07:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 776   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 1063767 times)
angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #1170 on: January 19, 2010, 07:49:33 AM »

No Depression

The YouTube player sometimes embeds & sometimes doesn't -- if not, click on the link above & it'll play the Uncle Tupelo song that gave its name to the late, lamented Alt-Country (whatever that is) magazine No Depression for ya.

I have been really getting into alt country/american roots music lately.  Here are a few goodies:

Zoe Muth and the Lost High Rollers (don't know how to embed this) - her voice sends me all a twitter.....

http://popup.lala.com/popup/1657606151271367801

The Moondoggies
The Moondoggies - Bogachiel Rain Blues (Live at the Mural)

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #1171 on: January 19, 2010, 07:54:52 AM »

What is really weird is if you go and quote your post the vid is embedded while it doesn't appear in your post.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I looked at the embedding HTML on my post & on others in this thread, and can't claim enough knowledge to have seen a difference between the two. And the funnier thing is that it ALWAYS showed up when I clicked "Preview," but only about half the time when I posted.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #1172 on: January 19, 2010, 10:40:24 AM »

Had Uncle Tupelo on my mind when I went home for lunch today & put them on the iPod while Ann-Marie & I ate up some leftovers and talked about our day so far. While not their best known tune, this song came on and the next thing I knew my honey & I were two-stepping around the living room.  Smiley

It's sung here by Jeff Tweedy of Wilco, one of two pieces of shrapnel that flew out when Uncle Tupelo blew apart; the other was Son Volt, Jay Farrar's band.

WILCO - NEW MADRID

And thanks for posting those two, Angler -- very cool stuff!

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #1173 on: January 19, 2010, 10:56:03 AM »

Big fan of Uncle Tupelo/Wilco/Son Volt

Reaching way back, I've been enjoying these guys lately (with and without the grievous angel Gram Parsons)
Flying Burrito Brothers - Christine's Tune

Gram Parsons
http://popup.lala.com/popup/360569449467838149

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #1174 on: January 19, 2010, 11:02:16 AM »

Oh and BTW, for you americana fans, KEXP has a great podcast from Dec 18th.  I would highly recommend it to anyone into alt country/american roots stuff.

I don't know how to download individual podcasts, but if you subscribe it should download it.
http://kexp.org/podcasting/past.asp?podcast=mtm

It is podcast 179 - Keep the Home Fires Burning - Swingin' Doors host Don Slack spotlights Seattle's vibrant roots-music scene. 1. The Moondoggies - Side of the Road (from GIVE Seattle 2009) 2. Zach Harjo - Broken Halos 3. Star Anna and the Laughing Dogs - Through The Winter 4. Mark Pickerel and His Praying Hands - Let Me Down Easy 5. Zoe Muth and the Lost High Rollers - Wasting My Time 6. The Maldives - Tequila Sunday 7. Sera Cahoone - Love's Gonna Live Here (LIVE at KEXP) 8. Knut Bell - Skagit Days 9. The Raggedy Anns - Prospector Joe 10. Lindsay Fuller and the Cheap Dates - Not To Be 11. Pufferfish - Little King 12. Danny Barnes - Pizza Box 13. Cosmic Panther Land Band - Panther Land Reprise

Jaman

« Reply #1175 on: January 19, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »

My favorite Uncle Tup (although I believe it's a cover...)

Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner - 11/92
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #1176 on: January 19, 2010, 11:36:17 AM »

Mine too. And I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table* and tell him I like their version better than his original.

*A blatant theft from Steve Earle...

(edit: I'd long thought this was a Dylan original even though in another part of my brain remembered hearing the Clancy Brothers recording of it before that. Sure wish those particular synapses had communicated. Wikipedia says the origin is disputed -- either a traditional Irish tune, or an old American tune that went back to Ireland to become a part of the island's "traditional" music.)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:42:56 AM by triangleforge » Logged

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #1177 on: January 19, 2010, 12:09:05 PM »

What is really weird is if you go and quote your post the vid is embedded while it doesn't appear in your post.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I've been getting that for a few weeks, it only seems to happen to the last few posts on the page.  I figured it was just my dinosaur desktop being cranky.

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1178 on: January 19, 2010, 12:22:29 PM »

I've been getting that for a few weeks, it only seems to happen to the last few posts on the page.  I figured it was just my dinosaur desktop being cranky.
It's gonna take someone smarter than me to figure out why.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1179 on: January 19, 2010, 03:50:22 PM »

Johnny Cash   Personal Jesus

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1180 on: January 19, 2010, 05:48:29 PM »

Mudcrutch: Lover of the Bayou  waytogo

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
redxblack

« Reply #1181 on: January 19, 2010, 08:07:31 PM »

moonshiner is a jay fararr song. He's done it with UT (first), solo and with Son Volt.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Uncle Tupelo and pre-VW ad era Wilco stuff. I'd also recommend fellow travelers to check out early Neko Case stuff. She's been neglected in this thread, which is a shame.

And posting Gram Parsons automatically makes you my friend, just so you know.

I need to create some videos for the current playlist and upload them to youtube. Strangely, there's not a lot of Swedish interpretations of American Roots music on the web.
swampduc

'99 996, '07 S2R1000,'08 1098s, '12 1199s

« Reply #1182 on: January 19, 2010, 08:11:59 PM »

Great to see all this love for UT, Son Volt, and Wilco on here. Never got to see UT, but I can definitely vouch for how great Son Volt is live.
And thanks for the suggestions of other bands to check out. Working on that now.

Respeta mi autoridad!
redxblack

« Reply #1183 on: January 19, 2010, 08:17:58 PM »

swampduc - you and I have similar tastes. I noticed your posts and that's why I bothered contributing here. I think we exchanged words about Lucero's stuff a while ago. I don't know if you're into DRAG THE RIVER, but they're excellent. Chad Price's solo record came out somewhat recently and it's 8/10ths great.

I've REALLY been into Kristofer Astrom's stuff lately. Some tracks are hit and miss, but I really like his work.
LowThudd
"Here I come to save the Daaaay" says my

« Reply #1184 on: January 19, 2010, 11:31:43 PM »

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Backwoods
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 776   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: