Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 15, 2024, 11:50:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Accident Scene Management  (Read 56352 times)
factorPlayer

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 01:55:12 AM »

Great info but there is 7 pages of it - like I'm going to be able to remember all that during the stress and adrenaline of tending to an accident scene?  The challenge is to condense that info enough that it is sufficiently memorable to the reader in some way...
FatguyRacer

The A-hole fomerly known as Blueshark928

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 07:19:44 AM »

Great info but there is 7 pages of it - like I'm going to be able to remember all that during the stress and adrenaline of tending to an accident scene?  The challenge is to condense that info enough that it is sufficiently memorable to the reader in some way...

Your right. I had a situation last year that's right up the alley of this post. I was following a guy on an Electra Glide on a small highway, on my way to work. We were about 50 feet apart. As we were comming up to the interchange with I-95, a couple of really stupid stupid stupid people in 2 vehicles, a van and a car, were comming off the exit ramp on the right and cut over 3 lanes of traffic to get to the left exit to get back on to I-95 going the other way. The van got right in front of the Harley rider and hit the brakes. The Harley rider hit his brakes, locked up the rear, let off the rear and highsided the bike right in front of me at around 50 mph. The van and the car and me pulled ahead on to the left shoulder and I yelled at the van driver not to move! I ran over to check on the Harley guy to see how bad off he was. He was sitting up in the spot he landed in, so my worst fears were calmed, he wasnt dead. I asked him his name and where he was hurting. It was about this time that fortunately for me, there were others in passing cars who stopped to help included an EMT and a trama nurse who took over for me in helping the guy. Unfortunately for me In my haste to run over and check on the guy I did not get the van's tag number. While I was with the rider, the van and his posse in the car took off before the cops showed. No one else got the tag number either. The cops and EMTs arrived pretty quick, and I gave a descriptoin as best I could about the van. I also helped the cops pick the HD up and move it off the highway and find the guys cell phone to call his SO. I called the hospital later and found out the guy was OK and was treated for road rash and a broken wrist. I never did find out if the van driver was caught.

I hope to never have to do that again. But if I do, I'll make sure to get tag numbers.

John Krawczyk
2002 Ducati ST4s (FIM chip, Arrow Carbys, Sargent seat, DP comfort fairing, Ducati Designs headlight, Toby steering dampener)
My Blog - The Chronicles of Fatguy Racer
erkishhorde

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 06:17:16 PM »

Bump, can we sticky this plz?

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
LMT
Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 05:47:04 PM »

Easy.  Check, Call, Care:

Check: Is it SAFE? For you to help, look up, down, and all around.
Check: Are you OK?  Can they talk?  Tap and shout if no response.

Call:  Call 911.  If you have someone else call make them report back so you know it was done.

Care: A B C  All care is based on Airway, Breathing and Circulation.

Open the Airway and Look, Listen, Feel for breath for 10 seconds, if no breath give 2.
Check pulse at neck with airway open for 10 seconds.  If no pulse start CPR.

The 3 C's will guide you through any situation.  maintaining life until help arrives is the goal and Check, Call, Care and ABC do that.

Mary
EMT - I, Red Cross instructor and advocate of training.
IdZer0

BE

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 10:42:41 PM »

Easy.  Check, Call, Care:

Check: Is it SAFE? For you to help, look up, down, and all around.
Check: Are you OK?  Can they talk?  Tap and shout if no response.

Call:  Call 911.  If you have someone else call make them report back so you know it was done.

Care: A B C  All care is based on Airway, Breathing and Circulation.

Open the Airway and Look, Listen, Feel for breath for 10 seconds, if no breath give 2.
Check pulse at neck with airway open for 10 seconds.  If no pulse start CPR.

The 3 C's will guide you through any situation.  maintaining life until help arrives is the goal and Check, Call, Care and ABC do that.

Mary
EMT - I, Red Cross instructor and advocate of training.

Strange, I just followed a Red Cross Helper Training over here (Belgium) and they tell you not to bother with the pulse anymore; if he's not breathing start CPR. Apparently they found out that even trained personnel (doctors & nurses) weren't 100% effective in determining pulse; so they said if they can't, how should the untrained be able to determine it correctly.

2007 Monster 695, DP ECU, Low mount Alu Termignonis
replaced by 2011 848 EVO
LMT
Post Whore

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 08:18:37 AM »

Strange, I just followed a Red Cross Helper Training over here (Belgium) and they tell you not to bother with the pulse anymore; if he's not breathing start CPR. Apparently they found out that even trained personnel (doctors & nurses) weren't 100% effective in determining pulse; so they said if they can't, how should the untrained be able to determine it correctly.

You are correct.  We ( the Red Cross) do not teach pulse check for the Lay Responder.  I did not want to confuse people who read the OP.  An extra 10 seconds will not make a difference either way.  The Red Cross does teach pule checking in the CPR for the Professional Rescuer class.
Mother
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 12:15:12 PM »

Most people can tell the differance between "my leg is kinda sore" and "oh crap, his f'ing head is tore about clean off". It's the "my leg is kinda sore" type that I am talking about. So, no, the best thing to do is not to just leave debris, vehicles, and people in the road. It's dangerous for the people involved in the accident and for other drivers traveling that route.

it's funny how different agencies have different priorities

I could give a shit about traffic flow

I say dont touch a thing and block traffic

keep the scene safe and let PD and DOT figure out the mess later

but on a MC ride you don't have 40,000lbs of firetruck to take a lane

and even if you had one in your pocket, it doesn't stop people from blowing through the scene anyway

ultimately

the best thing you can take from what spidey posted is an understanding that it isn't going to go as planned

and when Fire/EMS arrives they are more than likely going to ignore everything you have done

don't take it personal

Drunken Monkey
Scooter-Trash
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 01:55:16 PM »

Stickyed

I own several motorcycles. I have owned lots of motorcycles. And have bolted and/or modified lots of crap to said motorcycles...
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 05:33:37 PM »

I added an outline to the first post.  I know that's not exactly what you're looking for, but it might help.

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
Desmostro

alis volat propriis

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2009, 07:25:31 AM »

ROAD ID  <-----------   Emergency workers always look for these - get one on your boots!

Then no one has to look for who to call, if you have special needs etc.

http://www.roadid.com/common/id.aspx

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2009, 07:22:39 PM »

ROAD ID  <-----------   Emergency workers always look for these - get one on your boots!

I have one on my wrist. waytogo

(Remember the pictures of the squid losing his shoes as he side-swiped a car when he went over the DY?)

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
swampduc

'99 996, '07 S2R1000,'08 1098s, '12 1199s

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 06:33:54 PM »

Great idea. Thanks for the post.

Respeta mi autoridad!
hbliam
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 10:50:53 PM »

Interesting. I've never seen one before. We always look for a wallet/ID. That would be a better place for this info. On a motorcyclist the helmet is a good spot as well.
AZDUC

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 07:12:51 PM »

And remember check with your state to see if they have a Good Samaritan Law. I know California has pulled theirs bang head

Mahalo
djrashonal

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 07:39:35 PM »

I just read through this and as a Firefighter/EMT I'm happy that info like this is getting out there. When accidents occur, most people freeze. Even if this doesnt help everyone, it might be stuck in someone's mind and give them that little extra push to start to get the ball rolling for when EMS shows up

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
S2R800 dark - searching for
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: